Courthouse Square Historic District

The Courthouse Square Historic District is located in the earliest planned section of Chillicothe and contains some of the oldest commercial buildings in the city. It extends from Walnut Street on the west to Vine Street on the east, Polk Street on the north and Ann Street on the south.

More than half of the buildings in the district were constructed between 1883 and 1900, a period of prosperity, extensive commercial development and significant population growth in Chillicothe. At that rate of growth, Victorian styling and ornamentation proliferated. These late nineteenth century buildings feature projecting bay windows, pedimented rooflines, cast iron lintels, pilasters, pressed tin panels and cornices. As the square grew between the turn of the century and 1940, 14 new buildings were constructed, somewhat plainer than their predecessors.

To learn more about each of the buildings in the district, read our Courthouse Square Historic District Breakdown.

Powered by Element74
2021 © Main Street Chillicothe  |  (660) 646-4071  |  514 Washington Street  |  Chillicothe, MO 64601